Flagyl Where have you been all my (DS) life?!!!

mrsannie
on 4/26/12 9:17 pm
Amazing!  I was suffering with tons of smelly gas every night!  I am not perfect, but it seemed whatever I ate my body turned it into gas!  It was so bad that I was considering canceling a trip because I was too embarrassed.  

I've read about Flagyl, did some research and ordered it from the internet, and all I can say is WOW! From the first dose, no gas, upset stomach, not a peep!

I am taking 200mg 3x a day and so far so good.  The only down side is the no alcohol thing, which I have read that may not actually be the case, but its a small price to pay!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
MajorMom
on 4/27/12 1:47 am - VA
**Like**

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

twodelight
on 4/27/12 1:56 am - Atlanta, GA
Share the website. I have an upcoming trip with my boyfriend and I want to have my basis covered. Although since I had my colonospy I haven't had an real issues with gas but just in case it wants to act up, I want to be on the safe side. Just for memorial day weekend.
Crazeru
on 4/27/12 5:35 am
I take a 250mg once every few days for maintenance.  If I'm going somewhere or will be staying with people, I'll take one for 3 or 4 days before and take it with me.  It's an amazing little helper.

Google Fish Zole, if you look around, the price varies quite a bit. 

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

mrsannie
on 4/28/12 10:29 pm
 I didn't know you could take it as maintenance!  I thought it was a drug you could become resistant to?  Do you get it from your Doc or the internet?

Sarahdarah
on 4/27/12 6:27 am - wakefield, United Kingdom
Is flagyl not quite a strong antibiotic prescribed for clos dif? surely that can upset the balance of gut flora in the long term?
Tarragon
on 4/29/12 1:59 am
Yes, Flagyl is an antibiotic.

Yes, it changes the balance of the gut flora.

Your concerns are accurate.

However, you have to understand that DS changes the balance of the gut flora.  So much more nutrition makes it to your colon than in a person who has not had DS, the flora which feast on that nutrition get way out of whack at the drop of a hat for many DSers, and for some, they never come back into balance even with probiotics and careful diet.

For those of us who are unable to acheive intestinal balance with probiotics and dietary changes, Flagyl helps kill off the ones that cause problems and brings the balance closer to normalcy than it would otherwise be.
teachmid
on 4/27/12 8:39 am - OKC, OK
I've about decided to order some. I'm still not sure about using vet products. I don't know if they're prepared or regulated with the same standards.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Crazeru
on 4/27/12 10:42 am
I've been using Fish Zole since Aug '08.  My first round of Flagyl was with a presc from my PCP.  20 pills for $20.  I order 100 at a time for $13-20.  Because I'm not trying to kill off everything now, just 1 cleans up the odor and the gas.  If I forget for a week or more, I may have to take 1 for a few nights.  I did compare my presc with the Fish Zole bottle and they were both made in Kansas City and they looked the same.

If you get C-Diff there are other prescriptions that you can take.  I take such a low dose, that I'm not too worried.  All my stool cultures have always came back negative.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

mrsannie
on 4/28/12 10:31 pm
 How does the Fish Zole taste?  

Most Active